I am a mother of 3 aged 5, 7 and 18 who ...

Asked by Jane Doe on 21-04-2021 16:03:57
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

I am a mother of 3 (aged 5, 7 and 18) who has never been married but I have lived with my children's father for 10 years now. He has been abusive in the past and I no longer wish to live with him. How do I take my children and leave without going against the law? He was arrested in June 2019/8 for domestic violence but was never tried and has paid to have his record cleared. I am worried that he will try to take my two younger children from me. Can he do that and how do I avoid that?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.