We rented a warehouse in 2008 all monthl...

Asked by Sharon on 27-04-2021 15:13:03
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

We rented a warehouse in 2008 all monthly rental was up to date. We did sign a 2 year lease. We did not renew lease. 

Every rent increase landlord did in writing and we paid according. 

In 2016 landlord gave us written notice to leave. 

He was selling property. 

We asked for grace period until we find a place or he gets buyer. 

In 2018 we vacated the premises. 

This month we find a summons attached to our fence. 

Landlords claims we didn't pay him 10% increase yearly. Yet he gave us written notice increases 

He's claiming a huge amount plus interest. 

We have not been working for 3 years.

We've been unwell and also covid effected us.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 29-04-2021 12:29:07

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

It sounds like your landlord is grasping at straws in his claims!

The one thing that you must keep in mind is that his claims can only go back 3 years, to the day. Claims before then are un-enforceable.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.