After 18 years my husband has left me fo...

Asked by CarlyH on 27-04-2021 15:37:48
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Western Cape

After 18 years my husband has left me for another woman. He has been having an affair for quite some time and wants a quick divorce. My Mother, him and I own a house together and the bond is in all 3 our names. My Mother has paid hundreds of thousands of rands of her own money towards the house, including paying the transfer fees which totalled R94 000, amongst many other things. She has proof of every cent. He has only paid a quarter of the bond for the last 7 years. He now wants a third of the proceeds of the sale of the house without my Mother getting any of her money back first. We are married out of community with accrual. I would like to know if we have a legal leg to stand on to claim all her invested money back. 

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 29-04-2021 12:27:40

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Was there an agreement in place which sets out what share of the house everyone gets?

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.