i need to leave the apartment i am stayi...

Asked by Anonymous on 01-01-2014 11:00:00
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 160.00

i need to leave the apartment i am staying in curretly because my lease has expired. the landlord demanded that i fix the apartment up which i have done. however he wants carpets shapoo'd and possible replaced if they are not 'clean enough' or he will withhold part of my deposit. he also wants two chairs re-upholstered.

what is the law concerning wear-and-tare (such as carpets and seats of chairs) is he right in saying i might have to replace carpets? especially because the carpets are not torn but just a little worn out because i and a housemate lived in the flat for three years.

any information on the matter would be appreciated.

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.