Hi there.My name is Mishka. In 2016 July...

Asked by Mishka on 25-10-2022 14:52:30
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

Hi there.

My name is Mishka. In 2016 July I lost both my parents & younger brother in a mva. I lived with them since I have been divorced. I have a elder brother who lived away from the family home. Our home is owned however not the land. We pay yearly rent to the landlord of this area. We had a 4 bedroom lounge ktb and a verandah. When my parents passed my brother nominated himself as executor (forced upon me). To cut a long story short he subdivided the home and according to him its 50/50 and it's  not. The problem I have is that he has blocked off ventilation in my home. I have a parrot and a dog myself and my son living here and it's unihabitable as we cannot breathe here. Every single night irrespective of the weather we have to sleep with the door fully ajar. Not only is this a security hazard I have problem breathing here. I have appealed to him to give me my previous room which was mine that he took by force and that would of allowed me to open a door so my kitchen gets air but he did not agree. Is there anything I can do as he also did not add a few items of jewellery in the estate as well. I just want the room that was mine so we too can live a little comfortably.

Please advise

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.