Good morning.My wifes Dad has passed awa...

Asked by 4man2212 on 10-12-2019 11:29:18
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape
Question value: R 0.00

Good morning.

My wifes Dad has passed away and the Exectuor is the person/company who also did the accounting for his business. I have the appointment of Accounting Officer letter, but there is no term to the contract. It was signed by the accountant 12/9/09. There is no signature from my wifes Dad. But the man has done the job since then, so it would be enforceable. After the estate is wound up the will says he should carry on accounting for and managing the business. My wifes Mom survived her Father by more than 30 days (he passed away early 2018) and it is clear in that circumstance that she can execute a new will as the current one was a joint will. For one reason and another she (and my wife who has the mandate to manage her affairs) wish to dismiss the accounting firm. They have not performed, but to prove that would be long and costly, so the way I read it is that we can terminate the contract because there is a para in the appointment letter. 'This letter will be effective for future years unless it is terminated, amended or suspended. I really just want to know what the corect notice period would be due to precedent or common law.....Many thanks

Norman Sander. e-mail:   ***BLOCKED-EMAIL-ADDRESS***  phone:+27608249994

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.