Good morning,I have a question that I ho...

Asked by Louis Erasmus on 25-01-2024 11:44:17
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to Gauteng

Good morning,

I have a question that I hope you will be able to assist with. 

We moved abroad to The Netherlands in July 2023.  I have a motorbike registered in SA and did not have time to sell it.  

The guy who usually repairs and services the motorbike offered to sell the motorbike on my behalf to which I was very grateful.  He found a buyer and we agreed to a price in August 2023.  Since then I have been following up on a regular basis, however the answer was always that the buyer will be making the final payment "next week".  Fast forward to last week Friday, I finally got a hold of the guy facilitating the sale of the bike. I told him that I am getting one of my friends to come and collect the motorbike to which he responded that he already gave the bike to the buyer in December (shocked).

I expressed my dissatisfation and told him that I need the Money in my account by COB tomorrow (Friday), and proof that the motorbike has been removed from my name.  The facilitator is now ignoring my messages and dodging my calls and I do not believe that I will be receiving the monies.  

My motorbike is still insured in SA and I wanted to know if it is possible to open a case of theft with SAPS whilst I am living abroad?

I look forward to receiving your response.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.