good morning i am paying maintenance for...

Asked by rishad786 on 28-04-2021 08:35:05
Question posted in the General Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

good morning 

i am paying maintenance for my kid which i have no eccess to, she recently applied for full custody which i didnt see the reason to coz i dont see him nor speak to, every year she wants an increase and gets it but now i cannot afford it coz im a commisson worker.. i did send in a notice for reduction to the howick court but i havent had any responce 

kindly advice 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 29-04-2021 23:20:33

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

The first part of a maintenance enquiry is the child's NEED. 

The second part is the parent's ABILITY to pay. 

So even if the child NEEDS R10,000 per month, if the parent can't PAY that per month, then there won't be an increase. 

You need to oppose the increase application on the basis of affordability. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.