1. Purchased a property with a 3 phase m...

Asked by Anonymous on 29-06-2021 14:07:55
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape

1.  Purchased a property with a 3 phase meter, and received the Rates Clearance Certificate.

2.  Went to purchase electricity, but was told that there is an amount of R5000 outstanding, which pertains to the previous owner.

3.  Have been advised that I, as the new owner need to settle this amount in order to reconnect the electricity again.

4.  Surely the previous owner is liable for this outstanding amount?

5.  Am I able to install another prepaid meter in my name, and start from scratch.

Thank you.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 30-06-2021 11:17:53

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

The previous owner is liable for the payment of that amount. The rates clearance certificate is different to electricity!

My advice is to pay the R5k, get the electricity moved into your name, and go on. Then, claim the R5k from the previous owner.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.