My landlord has altered the premesis dra...

Asked by Ivor on 08-07-2021 14:03:12
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

My landlord has altered the premesis drasticaly in the past 3 months. Halfed the living space quartered  the yard space and put my animals and myself under duress. They have given me a 1000 discount on rent from 10000. I am in arears for the Covid period of level 5  locdown. I feel completely unhappy with the living space. so much so that I have given them notice I am moving out at the end of the month. I have not paid them rent for this month as I feel their discount is completely unreallistic. What should my next steps be.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 10-07-2021 22:23:37

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

It sounds to me as if your landlord has breached your lease agreement because he has halved your living area. What you need to do is to write a letter of demand to him, giving him 7 days to give you back the whole premises, and if he doesn't, then you cancel the lease and move out!

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.