Hi,I was served with divorse papers by m...

Asked by Anonymous on 28-04-2021 23:20:46
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

Hi,I was served with divorse papers by my husband of 16 years. His sister is his attorney. I can't afford an attorney as I am earning less than R3500. According to the papers. I Have to give up my half share of the property in 5 months and he gets custody of the kids and I have to pay maintaince and get visiting rights. I'm the one that takes care of my kids,he only contributes financial but does not offer kids wth love support or his time. We married in community if property but papers don't mention I get anything in the divorse. How do I go about fighting for my rights ? In the time we have been married , he never wanted me to work. Wanted me to be a stay home mum always found excuses why I shouldn't apply for jobs and never supported any business idea I had. Any advise would help . Time is running out for me to contess

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 29-04-2021 12:30:43

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If you are married ICOP, then you are entitled to 50% of everything. 

Also, if you look after the kids, then you should be the primary caregiver for them and your ex-husband should pay you maintenance!

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.