Good day,I would like to find out if we ...

Asked by Loraine on 14-04-2021 14:47:46
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day,

I would like to find out if we as the tenants can simply be evicted from the property we are renting because of the following situation;

We paid our rent every month on time, we paid 2 x deposit amounts upon moving in.  We asked that our Landlord (private) please just use one of the Deposit amounts for the month of April and then we will pay as usual by end April. She gave us until 9 April to pay the rent in full for April but we told her that we cannot do so that is why we are asking for relief by using one of the deposit amounts.  She sent an email today 14/04/2021 saying we have until end of April to move.

However, she is refuses to do use the deposit.

Can she simply just evict us for not paying one months rent, although she had the option to use one months deposit if there are two months deposit with her?

And also, the deposit we paid to her does not incure any interest monthly because it is against her religion, as stated by our Landlord herself.

Thank you

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.