Hello My name is Mlungisi Mathope and I ...

Asked by Mlungisi on 31-07-2021 12:11:42
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng


My name is Mlungisi Mathope and I have a problem regarding unpaid lent money. I used to live with my aunt after my mother passed away and she knew I had an inheritance coming. She lent some money (approximately R+50k), we made a rough contract stating that she would pay the money back.

Unfortunately I was 18 and had no idea that I'd be soon facing some trouble. I originally was going to use the capital to further my education but as soon as I requested the money from my aunt she kept on giving me stories. So I went to Legal Aid and I was told to move out before any legal action could be taken. After some time I moved out, tried contacting Legal Aid to no avail.

The capital still hasn't been returned even after I confronted her about it. I thought I was helping out little did I know...

I'd appreciate any advice on how to deal with this matter.


Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 02-08-2021 09:57:06

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

What you need to do, unfortunately, is to sue her either at the Magistrates Court for the return of your money. You'll either need a lawyer or a pro bono lawyer.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.