I got married to a divorcee in 2008. In ...

Asked by Celiwe on 27-08-2021 10:30:29
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Eastern Cape

I got married to a divorcee in 2008. In terms of his divorce - all immovable property was rewarded to him. This included the house that we currently live in right now.

The laywers that handled his divorce never applied for the endorsement of the divorce dicree. (Year of the Divorce - 2002).This resulted in delays in registering the property in both our names removing the previous wife's name in the Title Deed.

The divorce Lawyers are now tyring to conclude the process, but there are more delays:

*The ORIGINAL Title Deed was never received by my husband after he finished paying the bond. When contacted the bond cancellation laywer (conveyencers) We where told the Title Deed was distroyed two years ago. Now they need to apply for the copy original, this process will require the ex-wife's signature who is now married in community of property with someone else.

*Current situation is that the CONVEYENCERS are struggling to contact the ex-wife of my husband to get her to sign the required documents.

My husband has not been in contact the exwife since the divorce. What is confusing is that the divorce dicree is clear and yet her signature is required to get the title deed copy. In fear of retaliation from her side. Can you please advice as this is a little confusion.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.