My ex husband passed away in June. Our d...

Asked by Denise on 01-09-2021 15:11:35
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

My ex husband passed away in June. Our divorce went through in August last year. The death certificate still shows married, Im convinced it's just that home affairs has not updated things on the system, I have no intentions of claiming anything. However, I am extremely concerned about my son's rights. We have only 1 child together. He did not leave a will. His family, sister and parents have started a huge fight about my son's dad's estate. He has a household of furniture and personal belongings that my son would love to have. He has a vehicle and motorbike and a flat (which his parents reside in at the moment). The flat is not paid off as far as I am aware.

Is my understanding correct in that everything will now go to our son, and be put into a trust for him? Or do any of the family members have any claims to the estate what so ever?

If things are to go to our son, is he allowed to keep the vehicle or motorbike as he is only 15?

This stressed out mum would really appreciate some sound advice and be able to put my sons worries to rest. 

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 02-09-2021 12:07:21

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

I think that it is just Home Affairs which has not updated their records. I would not worry. 

If your ex-husband didn't leave a Will, then his entire estate will be left to his child/children.

Any money will be paid over to the Guardian's Fund to administer until such time as your son turns 18.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.