HiIn 2018 I was renting a house in Port ...

Asked by doncal on 05-08-2020 15:50:44
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Eastern Cape

HiIn 2018 I was renting a house in Port Elizabeth. During the lease, I was retrenched from my work and could not pay rent. I missed a few months' rent and was evicted after that. I was sent a final letter of demand after the eviction from the rental company for the arrears rent. I informed them I could not pay the full amount on the letter at one time but was willing to make a monthly payment arrangement. That was the last I heard about the situation. I now believe the landlord's lawyers are trying to contact me or send me a letter to my physical address. I gave them my email address however as I do not have a permanent residence because of Covid-19. I want to get into contact with them to offer a payment plan as I am in a position to pay it. I do not know however know-how to get in to contact with them. They have not sent me an email yet. I do believe however that they called a business that I am currently doing contract work for, they told them though they are from Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality. The only details I have are the landlord's personal email address. What should I do in this situation? Can I contact the landlord directly? I don't want this to go to court or anything like that as I do owe her the money and I am not running away from it. Hope you can advise.Kind RegardsDonavan Calitz

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 15-08-2020 13:47:01

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Yes, you can contact the landlord directly to make arrangements. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.