Hi .. I've just come across the fact tha...

Asked by Farah on 12-09-2021 15:47:05
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

Hi .. I've just come across the fact that twelve month premiums could be refunded after cancellation of policy .. I've had a car insurance policy with first for women from 2011 until 2016 which I cancelled due to finding a Better deal elsewhere .. however upon reading through my initial emails I've missed the part of being refunded .. I do however need to know what procedures to follow and if this would still be payable and owed to me and also if this is a general practice with insurance 

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 12-09-2021 21:27:16

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

That is definitely NOT general practice with insurance companies ... in fact, this is the FIRST time that I'm hearing about this. I doubt that it is true.

Also, given that you cancelled in 2016, some 5 years ago, any claim that you would have against them would surely have prescribed - which means that they no longer need to pay you if they don't want.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.