Hi, I rent an apartment in Illovo. I wan...

Asked by Nikita on 13-09-2021 17:44:18
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi, I rent an apartment in Illovo. I want to know what my rights to social distancing are amidst a pandemic.

There was a burglary a few months ago and the trustees decided not to allow delivery drivers to the door - we instead have to go downstairs to collect goods. This exposes us to the risk of COVID. Can I challenge them on this? What rights do I have?

I have already discussed this with them and they have concluded to maintain this rule.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 13-09-2021 18:49:43

Hi there and thank you for your question, 

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow-up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread. 

I assume that what the trustees have done is in terms of a HOA / Body Corporate rule which has been adopted. The first thing to do is to query if it is a rule, and if so, whether the rule was adopted by the Trustees correctly.

In other words, whether they have the powers to create and enforce rules, or whether the rules need to be voted on by the members of the HOA / Body Corporate before the rules can be given effect to.

In order to determine this, you'll need to look that the HOA / BC's constitution or founding documents. That's where the powers exist. 

If the rules were validly passed and adopted, then unfortunately your only course of action will be to apply to the High Court to set the rules aside on the basis that they are an unjustifiable limitation on your constitutional rights.

Otherwise, there is nothing that you can do. 

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted to be answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.