Good day,My mother and I jointly signed ...

Asked by A.J on 03-11-2021 11:22:46
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day,

My mother and I jointly signed a Deed Of Sale for a Life-Right in a Retirement Village.

According to the Admin Office, a few months later, my mother brought another Deed Of Sale to them with only my mother listed as the buyer, which the Admin Office Accepted and apparently removed me from the Life-Right without informing me. My mother passed away on 16/04/2020 and I have been living in the Life-Right until now. A month ago I was given notice that I have a month to vacate the unit. Are they allowed to remove a person from a Life-Right without the person's signature?

Many thanks & kind regards.

Andrew J. Hopewell

(081) 370-9927

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 03-11-2021 12:41:02

Hi there Andrew and thank you for your question.

Do you know if the first Deed of Sale was accepted by the Retirement Village? i.e. did a binding agreement come into effect. If so, I would assume that you would have a copy of the counter-signed Deed of Sale?

Also, what was the date of that first Deed of Sale?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.