My father bought a stand just a foundati...

Asked by MogauS on 16-11-2021 17:33:16
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Limpopo

My father bought a stand (just a foundation and no house) from person A back in 1995. Person A handed my father the house blueprint but did not have a title deed as he himself, just bought the stand from person B who has the title deed as his name also appears at the municipality as the owner of the stand. We only found out about the matter in 2020 that, my father does not have the title deed for the stand. We are in the process of looking for person A and person B to resolve this issue with no luck. We want to pay the transfer costs to have the stand ownership changed from Person B to my father's name. What are the legal processes required to resolve this issue?

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 19-11-2021 23:02:15

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

You might have an issue here, especially if the land is still registered in the name of the municipality, because if it is a RDP house, then Person B would not have legally been allowed to sell it without the municipality's permission - which he probably never got.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.