I have two questions that I hope you can...

Asked by J. Lakey on 18-11-2021 09:21:44
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

I have two questions that I hope you can answer for me.

In 2007 my then 13-year old son got in trouble with the law for shoplifting. A social worker was assigned to him. A recommendation was made that he qualified for diversion. He was sent to a Youth Care and Education Centre, where he excelled and finally left in 2009 to return to mainstream school and ultimately finish his grade 12 in 2012. He started working immediately after leaving school and has been permanently employed ever since. A few years back his company initiated a vetting process including checking for a criminal record. They reported that my son has a marker against his name, but they are unable to determine what it is or what it was for. My understanding of this is it’s because he was still a minor when he was sent to the Youth Care and Education Centre and thus the records are sealed. Am I correct in this understanding?

Currently he is applying for positions in the public service sector. For one such posts he was nominated. After the vetting was done however, the nomination was retracted. My second question is: Does he have a criminal record as an adult because of what happened when he was 13?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.