I am currently renting a property and ha...

Asked by Vanessa on 30-11-2021 15:40:59
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

I am currently renting a property and have been doing so since 2015. The owner/landlord of the property has sold it recently to new owners who are yet to take possession of ownership as the paperwork needs to be finished processing. Nonetheless, according to pest control surveyors who have had a look at the property, they would have to treat a wood borer issue in the house which I am renting, and this requires me to leave for a period of 48 hours. This is all good and well, but I am not the only resident, I have indoor animals and I have no other place to go to for this time period. In addition, with all of the personal belongings that I would have to move out during this time, I might as well completely move out altogether. My contract expires next year 2022 on the 31st of May, and I fully intend to vacate the property and move out at the end of my lease period. What I want to know, is can the situation be forced - as in, can I be legally forced by law to evacuate the property for the fumigation while my contract is still active, or can I by law demand that this only occurs when I give notice next year and move out?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.