Good Day. I need legal advise please. I ...

Asked by SonjaT on 23-02-2022 09:10:32
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Gauteng

Good Day. I need legal advise please. I recently got divorced and in the settlement agreement, I agreed to transfer my half of the property to my ex wife (my daughter stays with her, so they can keep the family home), transfer it into her name. I did agree to pay for the tranfer costs of my half into her name, but now she is in a new relationship and my half will be going to him as she cannot afford/ does not qualify to purchase the house by herself. This is not part of the agreement as it will now be going to his name and not hers as stated in the divorce agreement. Should I still pay it or do I have a legal foot to stand on to not pay it as it is not what I agreed on.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.