What recourse do I have against an emplo...

Asked by Shamiela on 13-05-2022 05:51:34
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

What recourse do I have against an employee who does not give notice and leaves immediately after receiving her salary.  She has also not returned her company cellphone and claims that it has been stolen.

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 14-05-2022 22:30:39

Hi there and thank you for your question, 

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow-up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread. 

In theory, you could sue the employee to force the employee to return to work for the notice period, but the reality is that you won't be able to get into court in time, so that won't really work.

But what you ARE able to do is to sue the employee for any financial harm / damages that the company suffers as a result of them leaving their job without working in their notice period. If this includes contracts which were lost, or downtime, or the fact that you would need to externally train somebody new, all of those things could be claimed from the ex-employee. 

In relation to the company cellphone, you should report it to SAPS and to your insurance company as having been stolen. Tell SAPS that the ex-employee has stolen it and refuses to return it. Get your insurance company to pay for a new one. Let SAPS charge the ex-employee with theft! 

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question. 

Att. Patrick 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.