I am an 18 year old boy. My mother the b...

Asked by Chulda on 31-05-2022 18:41:13
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

I am an 18-year-old boy. My mother (the breadwinner of our house) and I have had ongoing conflict for a few years now. Referring to fights throughout this paragraph will be emotional and not physical. There was an instance of her trying to hit me on my arm, however, due to my physical stature, she was unable to cause any harm and stopped. She has been very controlling throughout the years and fights with me multiple times a month. I have not been able to have a proper conversation with her for as long as I can remember without it turning into a fight. however, over the past 6 months, it has rapidly increased and she fights with me, due to her not approving of my girlfriend and the university I would like to go to. She has said numerous bad things about my girlfriend and continues to put unnecessary stress on my relationship. She often says that I am too selfish, spoilt, and dishonest along with numerous other demeaning statements. This ongoing conflict has affected my mental state and I struggle to concentrate in class as well as I should be able to, as it's always on my mind. I am in matric at a prestigious school. I have strongly considered going to live with my best friend, however, I don't want to put the burden of having to look after me on his parents without contributing. I would like to know if there is any legal ground for a claim to maintenance in this situation. My main concern is paying for university fees and food once out of school. 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.