My dad passed away as a divorced person ...

Asked by Halatedzi on 07-06-2022 09:35:09
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

My dad passed away as a divorced person at Home Affairs however, he was married customarily to his wife. My understanding is that this then becomes in community of property. He left a Will bequeathing certain assets to his children not aware of the fact that should he die it will be in community of property (she had refused to go sign at home affairs out of community hence it was never made a civil marriage). My understanding is that they will now have a joint estate of which she is entitled to 50% of it. What I would like to know is whether we can change the Will to leave the house to his children because they will be prejudiced as they will no longer have a home (he left the house to his eldest daughter as the wife has her own house) and also will his children inherit the other 50% of the joint estate which includes the assets and liabilities of the wife?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.