I am the landlord and want to know:If a ...

Asked by claudelle pillay on 14-06-2022 15:27:22
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

I am the landlord and want to know:If a potential tenant pays me holding deposit and decides not to move in by the agreed date, is he entitled to get his deposit back?

Our intial agreement that is was HIM alone that will occupying the premisis and that his mum and partner would SOMETIMES visit.I have been securing the premises for him since the end of May 2022 and never advertised it further, he paid me the holding deposit on the 2022/06/06 and on the 2022/06/11 indicated to me that he will no longer be moving in due to the fact that his mum does not want to live in the area(bearing in mind his mum was never apart of our initial agreement to live with him permenantly) I have after securing the place for him decided to add on built in cuboards etc after knowing he will only occupy the premsis as of the 2022/07/01 the cuboards - of which he did not need as he stated he had kitchen furniutre but i did it out of good will, Now he states that the cubaords was only completed on the 2022/06/11 so that gives me ample time to advertise and secure a new tenant of which i am not in agreement with as this now puts me under enormous pressure with the limited time frame left for this month, He has now put me in a financial loss for 1 month rental and therefore I donot think he should be refunded his deposit

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.