Good day, I am a home owner in an estate...

Asked by Anonymous on 19-10-2022 14:02:16
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day, I am a home owner in an estate with full title. I sent an email request to the directors to install wooden panels for closure on back yard.

Email detailed below:

I would like to install garden wooden panels across the wall. The same supplier that was used for the opposite apartments will be used and thus will be similar to installation done.

Please advise what would be required to be furnished to get approval on the following.

I have now received the following from them:

Please be advised that the Directors have been advised of the attached wooden installation which is not anywhere near the existing units and your current installation does not conform to the approved spec i.e. the BC units use round dowels not flat plywood as per the photo provided.

The Directors humbly request you to remedy this installation for uniformity. Thanks

My question for advise is that my request was similar and not the same but also there were no guidelines provided.  Also there seems to conformity being dictated to some and not others. Eg house colours. 

Is there any case that i can put forward.  

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.