Good afternoon,I would kindly like to ra...

Asked by Ernie on 14-04-2023 16:25:46
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Free State

Good afternoon,

I would kindly like to raise the following difficulties we are facing as a family.

1. The house where my father was born, was given to him by his mother while she was still alive. There was never a time where a transfer of Deed was done hence the Title Deed remains registered under the municipality. My aunts are living there with their children. Is it legal for us the children of the deceased father to go and live there because we have no place to stay?

2. The house stand that we were living in while my father was still alive, is registered on my aunt's name as she was eligible for an RDP house and her name was used for that matter. The RDP house was never built. The original Title deed was on my father's parent, the mother. My father was given the stand while his mother was still alive. Is it legal to change the title deed to my father's spouse or his children? 

My father's sisters are living with their children to the house where my father was born to, his parent's house.

The house where me, my little sister and my mother live currently, was given to my father's but it is not his as it is registered to the sister. I feel i have a right to claim what was given to my father by his parents. we dont have a place that we call our home, the sister can evict us anytime. May i please get an advice, i would appreciate it a lot.

Thank you

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.