Good day SirMadamI have a question to as...

Asked by Anonymous on 04-05-2023 19:00:22
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day Sir/Madam

I have a question to ask

So I am a landlord of a place in Bez Valley, Johannesburg. I have a tenant that has lived in my residence for 7 months that I need to remove from the property indefinately. The reason for removal is the room he is occupying is leaking where the toilet meets the floor. Beneath that flooor is a basement. Betweeen the basement and his room floor is the support structure made from wood. His room is just above the basement and because of the leak, the floor is rotting. Furthermore the water dripping into the basement is creating a black mold issue from being in a confined space for long periods. This creates a major safety issue especially since the tenant has small kids.

The length of time needed for the repairs would make his living condition uninhabitable from the dust and debris caused by repairs.

Things to note: He signed a contract. Paid a R500 deposit

Where can i find a suitable and legally sound template for an eviction notice? 

Does it count as an eviction if he is being removed for repairs instead of something that is breach of contract like non-payment?

Is it true that you have to give someone 3 months to move after serving notice?

Your help would be greatly appreciated in this confusing time.


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.