My late grandfather i, who was originall...

Asked by just maya on 11-05-2023 20:48:42
Question posted in the Insurance Law category relating to Gauteng

My late grandfather i, who was originally from Malawi, passed away in 2012 while he was in South Africa for work. Before his demise, he had listed multiple beneficiaries, including my mother, who is also from Malawi, for the policy funds. Recently, we discovered that a payout was made on the policy. However, the insurance company has yet to acknowledge the settlement of the payout, and unfortunately, the beneficiary who seemed to have received the full payout passed away earlier this year. It is worth noting that this beneficiary is from South Africa, while the other beneficiaries are my grandfather's direct children from Malawi.

Given these circumstances, we urgently seek legal advice on the following matters:

Is there any legal recourse available to ensure that the other beneficiaries, who are from Malawi, receive their rightful share of the policy payout, considering the apparent unfair distribution?How can we address this issue and pursue a just resolution, particularly given the complexity of cross-border beneficiaries and the passing of the beneficiary who received the full payout?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.