Hi thereI have a fibre contract with an ...

Asked by Matt on 14-10-2023 17:10:55
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

Hi there

I have a fibre contract with an ISP that I got back in April 2023.

I now have to move house so I asked them if I can transfer the line to the new location. I did check and they do offer fibre at my new address. They told me they cannot transfer it to the new address for some arbitrary reason and that I would be charged double for November, so I reluctantly agreed. They I spoke to someone else (because the call centre agent had a **** attitude) and now they're saying that I have to cancel the old contract in full and sign up for a brand new line at the new address.

This is just an awful policy.

They didn't even install anything, all they did was send me a router. I had an existing fibre installation but now they're trying to nail me for a cancellation fee of around R6000. This is simply ludicrous.

Once again, I didn't want to cancel, but they're forcing me to cancel.

So if I cancel my contract with them now and they try to charge me a penalty and clawback and I refuse to pay and cancel the debit order, what can they actually do?Is there no provision in the consumer protection act against this sort of AWFUL policymaking?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.