What are the laws regarding owning a men...

Asked by Carey on 08-06-2023 08:33:34
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

What are the laws regarding owning a mental health clinic or rehab

Further information relating to Question:

I just want to understand the laws and requirements of owning a rehab or mental health clinic. For example does it legally have to be registered and so forth?

Message from the client

when is someone breaking the law in regards to running a treatment facility?

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 08-06-2023 10:20:16

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Please keep in mind that our discussions is for general information purposes only. Our engagement on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. 

If somebody wants to operate a treatment facility, most accountants/lawyers will advise them to operate the business in the name of a private company and register the company for income tax and VAT. This will enable the business to claim back all of its expenses, and also VAT on expenses, and provide a proper service. It also enables the owners to separate themselves from the business, from a legal liability point of view. 

The legislation which pertains to these businesses is the Mental Health Care Act, 2002 (Act No. 17 of 2002).

The best thing that I can do is to refer you to this guide [https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/201705/40847gon441.pdf] which sets out the framework and the policy regarding operations, licencing, etc for businesses of this nature, because you will see that there are various types of businesses which need to be registered. 

Answer Accepted

This answer was accepted on 08-06-2023 11:03:29

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.