My younger brother works for a gambling ...

Asked by Anonymous on 17-06-2023 15:24:52
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

My younger brother works for a gambling company called Hollywoodbets, so it happened that he was tempted to gamble for himself. He did, and he was short. So they suspended him and filed a case of theft against him.He was arrested the very same day and released the following day after we found an Advocate for him. He says he wasn't released on bail, and he never went to court.. but they just told him that they will investigate the matter and he will be served if there is any case.So he is very worried cos on Wednesday a detective phoned him regarding the case and told him he must come and write a Statement. And he says the detective insists that he stole the money, but he says he gambled, and he lost.He doesn't even sleep at night cos he thinks the police might come and re-arest him. And when he was released the lawyer told him that there's no case that is why he was released

So I was asking if there's a case? 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.