Hey. My partner has been going back and ...

Asked by Essy on 21-09-2023 21:19:21
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to Gauteng

Hey. My partner has been going back and forth to court for months. He has a pending assault case against a woman who broke down our door and claimed he physically assaulted her after. He has been showing up to court, but has not been getting anywhere because either the accuser the one day, or her lawyer the next are missing a lot of court appearances. It's been months now, he's trying to apply for jobs, but the pending case is showing up on his background checks. The police have already stated that she had no visible signs of being assaulted even though she claimed he had dragged her across the street and punched her in her face. The witnesses who were there also collaborated his story. But they keep pushing back the dates. He has court again next week Thursday, we're worried she's not going to show up again, creating more delays. This has put his whole life on hold. Is there nothing we can do to get the judge to understand that the delays are stopping him from being able to find a job and take care of his kids?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.