I'm a South African citizen and was marr...

Asked by Andrew on 05-10-2023 15:29:55
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Gauteng

I'm a South African citizen and was married in South Africa and is busy with a uncontested divorce that has been going on for over a year been waiting for report from family advocate for 3 months and I work outside the country of South Africa and my settlement agreement was signed on a military base in Iraq my court date is Monday and my advocate seems to think it is a problem that I sogned it in Iraq and need to postpone the date but I can't wait any longer how can i solve this

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 06-10-2023 17:49:41

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

There is no reason why signing the settlement agreement in Iraq has anything to do with the case. You could have signed it on the moon. It makes no difference. 

The important issue is that there is no report from the family advocate in the file yet... that's a problem, and a reason to postpone the case. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.