My husband passed away during the first ...

Asked by Vezi on 29-11-2023 00:26:28
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

My husband passed away during the first week of October 2023 without any "will" I am aware of and we are married in community of property. When I tried to obtain the Letter of Executorship (LE) with the assistance of a lawyer in order to attend to the "winding up"of the Deceased Estate I was told that there is a lady which has already been issued with the Letter of Executorship. That lady applied for it under the pretence of being my husband sister and even produced the certified copies of the Death Certificate, our Marriage Certificate and my S.A. ID copy. But I have never shared the above documents except with the colleague of my late husband who was facilitating my claim of a Group Funeral cover that was arranged via my late-husband EMPLOYER. I suspect that this "colleague"has a hand in sharing this important documents with the "fraudster lady". Since I do not have finacial resources at present to hire the services of a lawyer to stop the ïfraudulently issued LE", will it be possible to get assistance from your team of lawyers and undertake to pay for their services upon the successful winding-up of our Late Estate? Hope to hear from yourselves. Regards. Mrs Sibisi  

Further information relating to Question:

While your Attorney assist to STOP the issued LE, can I open a criminal case against the person who obtained this LE using my ID and marriage certificate without my permission?

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 29-11-2023 08:53:03

Hi there Mrs Sibisi and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.  Please keep in mind that our discussions is for general information purposes only. Our engagement on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. 

We unfortunately can't represent you directly in any dispute that you have, however we are able to advise you and assist you along the way with what you should be doing. 

Is it correct that your late husband's name is Christopher?

The first thing that you need to do is to report this to the Master of the High Court, and explain the fraud, and request the Master to contact the fraudster lady directly in order to demand that she returns the LE to the Master. 

You must also ask the Master to contact the executor and withdraw the LE from the executor on the basis that the LE should never have been issued to her, and that the Master must instead appoint you as the executor. 

Message from the client

Do I need the services of an Advocate to approach the Master of the Supreme Court? If yes, can you refer me to one with whom I can negotiate payment terms since I am expecting to get some liquidity from the estate late to be wound-up?

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 29-11-2023 14:01:56

You do not need the services of an Advocate to approach the Master of the High Court. You can write a letter to the Master yourself. You'll obviously need to attach whatever evidence you have. You must also explain that the lady who was appointed as the executor is NOT known to you and that there is no reason why she should be the executor! 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.