Good dayMy company owns a small holding...

Asked by Bassel on 01-12-2023 14:36:17
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Northern Cape

Good day My company owns a small holding 10km out of town which we had rezoned to residential with full title plots. For the past 40 years we use to use our borehole water for planting but since then we have been selling the potable sweet water and all the other essential services to the residents. At the time of rezoning about 23 years ago the municipality declined to supply us with any services and informed the company that we will have run the complex our-self like a small municipality, which we have been doing since. I would like to know whether we must register the 40 year old borehole and the selling of water. Kind regards Bassel

Further information relating to Question:

Each house has its own meters and a HOA was established.

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 03-12-2023 21:17:49

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Please keep in mind that our discussions is for general information purposes only. Our engagement on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. 

If you are using the borehole water for drinking, and watering your garden, then there is no requirement to register it or apply for a permit from the water authority. This includes "selling it" to other residents. 

However, you will need permission if you want to bottle the water and sell it to third parties, or if you want to use the water for commercial irrigation, etc. 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.