I went to ABSA bank to take a bond on a ...

Asked by Martin on 20-12-2023 12:05:44
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Western Cape

I went to ABSA bank to take a bond on a property I wanted. The bank only approved me for 70% of the capital needed and the consultant suggested I settle external debt to free up some funds and take a credit card to cover the remainder. I was not asked if the personal loan I was taking needed to be fixed or variable interest rate. However being in a hurry since I was already sitting at the abnk for so long and I had to get back to work I signed the documents and went on my way. Fast forward I year later I left my previous employer and I am now struggling to make ends meet with a smaller income, however I made arrangments with the bank, but they still handed me over to the debt collectors. To make matters worse I am now forced to sell the property which currently yields a rental income so I can cover the debt arrangements and personal expenses.

I have complained to no avail and even contacting the OMBUD yielded no result.I am not sure what mi rights are and If I can sue them, at this point I am just so fed up with how they do things. (This bank specifically)

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.