HiI was in a car accident in 2019 due my...

Asked by Monica on 27-12-2023 18:16:00
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to Gauteng


I was in a car accident in 2019 due my car tire that burst. I was travelling at night with my friend and my car hit a pothole, my tire burst, I lost control of my car, hit a elitricity box on the pavement, the car flipped and landed on its roof. My friend didnt wear his safety belt and passed away 3 days later.

I got a lawyer as I was charged with culpible homicide. He was very expensive, not reliable(didnt pitch up twice and late 3 times) but he build a good report with all evidence we gave him. The case was postponed for 2 years as the state didnt have enough evidence and 3 diffrent inspectors had diffrent findings. The case was unresolved and state said case might be opened later again. 

The state opened the case again but this time for reckless and neglagent driving. Im still paying off the laywer and he now refuse to represent me again due to the outstanding balance. I dont have anymore money and decided to ask for a state lawyer when im back in court for the new case.

Can the new laywer insist that the old lawyer give him his evidence and case that he build?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.