I am a 22 year old. I am currently study...

Asked by wiehann on 10-01-2024 13:00:59
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape

I am a 22 year old. I am currently studying at Stellenbosch and have been going through a lot in my life lately. I relapsed into my porn addiction during my 2nd year causing a drop in my grades in my 3rd year and start of 4th year(1st semester) . I started watching less and less and started gradually removing the porn from my phone (it was a lot) up to this point and have been passing more and more modules. Even with my best efforts however, I unfortunately missed my HEMIS with 1 module. My parents took my phone and saw the remaining porn on my phone , after I've deleted a lot already. I understand and know that my porn addiction is bad and have taken steps to correct trajectory. My mom however now went and destroyed my PS4, together with all the games as a punishment. I am not saying that I don't deserve punishment for my actions and mustn't carry the consequences, but it's a step too far for me personally with something that was never the problem to begin with (I never played during the Uni-year period. Only vacations). Do I have any legal ground to stand on if they paid for the PS4? (I did however pay for other games and cosmetics in games with money i worked for and not my parents')

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.