We have signed a 6 months lease, end of ...

Asked by Ronelle Godfrey on 19-02-2024 09:39:40
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

We have signed a 6 months lease, end of Feb would be the 5th month.

We have had lots of issues regading damp walls and mold and have notified the landlord , as this is a health issue, but nothing has been done. A few weeks ago we were flooded, water came seeping through the walls, the next day , I was electrocuted , via the taps , I turned off the mains , and still I was electrocuted, i notified the landlord, they came to sort out the issue.

The landlord said that if we not happy living there she understands and is a reasonable person and will not hold us to the lease agreement, as she herself would not like to live in that conditions

We feel unsafe , the walls are still wet and moldy , we have given notice and month meaning that we will not live there up until month 6, she now says that we not allowed to do that as our contract is 6 months.

She breeched the contract by not providing us with a safe and hygeinic, structurally sound place to live in , please advise.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.