Good day,I have been renting my current ...

Asked by Connie on 25-02-2024 21:27:10
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day,

I have been renting my current apartment for a few months since last year October. I early on realized that there is quite the roach issue in the apparent. On a weekly basis I find huge dead roaches under the kitchen sink, and every once in a while find one roaming around the apartment. I have taken this up with the property managers, and they sent an exterminator, but not much has changed or improved. I have since lodged the same issue again, and this time including the fact that there is sometimes a very foul smell coming from the kitchen. They have said someone will come have a look at this, but there doesn't seem to be much acknowledgement of the roach issue. 

As I have a deep phobia for these bugs, I am finding the living situation extremely stressful, and I honestly just want out of the lease! I have to take sleeping and anxiety pills just to be able to sleep at night. As there is a termination clause in the lease that is defaulting to the CPA, I would like to know what my choices are here. I understand there might be an early termination penalty,  but what would this look like? Do you think the pest problem could be grounds enough to forego this fee? Also, does excersing this right mean a mark against my name as a renter? Any assistance and clarity will be greatly appreciated. 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.