Good day,I am from a company that is nee...

Asked by Amber-Rose on 07-03-2024 09:29:17
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day,

I am from a company that is needing some advice about suing.

we have a client that owes us R200k+ but they left the country without paying the debt. We have news that the client is out of the country and in New Zealand currently. When business was happening, it had happened within South Africa, KZN to be exact.

My question is this:

Do we lay the lawsuit within the South African boarders or do we contact an attorney in New Zealand for the serving and lawsuit to take place?

Do we as a comapny have to go to New Zealand to proceed with the lawsuit or will the attorney on that side handle it?

Please this is rather urgent.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.