Hi. I've been living with my ex partner ...

Asked by Naushad on 25-03-2020 10:12:17
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 0.00

Hi. I've been living with my ex partner for 6 years. In this time she has never contributed to the rent of our place. On the rare occasion that she did, it was for stuff in the house. I'm 2019, she made a loan for us to repair our car. The same car I used to take her to work & pick her up from work everyday. On Saturday 29/02/2020 she left but when she did, she took most of the stuff from the house with her. Now she wants me to pay back the loan she made in 2019. Can she ask this of me? If so, can I not ask that she pay me half of the rent that I had to pay to keep a roof over her head? 

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 26-03-2020 15:25:02

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

My answer is going to come down to "what was the financial agreement between the two of you at the start of the lease?"

Because, it sounds as if the agreement was that you would pay the rent, and she could just live with you for free. If that's how this has continued for the last 6 years, why do you think that all of a sudden you can change this agreement?

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.