I purchased "life right" residential acc...

Asked by Gary on 15-03-2024 02:05:18
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

I purchased "life right" residential accommodation from an organisation which specialises in accommodation for the aged, in terms of the Housing Development Schemes for Retired Persons Act 65 of 1988 as amended. My wife and I are issued with a certificate of life right signed by the organisation's attorney and countersigned by the organisation's CEO which certifies that in terms of the act that our right of occupation has been endorsed in terms of Act 65 of 1988. The certificate doesn't in any way refer to the contract that we have entered into with them.

After we take occupation of our flat, we discover that page 15 of the contract is inconsistent with page 14. We draw their attention to this error. They get us to initial the corrected page, and the corrected page is initialled by their same representatives as those who signed the previous one. There is no indication on the corrected one that it should be substituted for the previous one. We have two pages 15 for our contract.

How is the validity of our contract affected by these actions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.