I graduated from the university and I ha...

Asked by Nsuku on 10-06-2024 14:35:47
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

I graduated from the university and I had two fundings on my final year and the other bursary agreed to fund me for the following year since I was going to study at another university.

During registration, I was advised to do a 1 year course for 2 years and later in the semester, another student advisor said I was suppose to do it for 1 year as the year book says. I reached out to the head of department and he confirmed the mistake and that the courses I was doing I wasnt supposed to do them.

At the end of the year, I was excluded as a result of those courses. I appealed and spoke to the HOD as he was aware of the situation but It was declined. 

The matter was resloved and I was allowed to register but I am still liable for the fees as a result of the error made by the university. 

I registered a month late, after classes have commenced and I was told that they will accommodate me. 

I ended up not qualifying to write my exams and I asked them to allow me to write exams which they declined.

I would like to ask what I can do given that I lost a year as a result of the error that they made and still liable to pay the fees. 

What can I do with academics given that I registered late as a result of the resolution which was made late and I had no control over. 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.