I need some advice and help regarding ou...

Asked by Jeanelle on 05-07-2024 18:51:02
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

I need some advice and help regarding our lease agreement. We have signed a lease from May to November; however, due to immigration and unforeseen circumstances we have to cancel our lease early. We have given our 20-working days notice from 15 June 2024; however, we have informed our landlord that we'll be staying until the end of July to ensure that neither her nor us will be impacted negatively fiancially. Therefore is it clear that we have not only given her 20 days, but more than a month and a half. During this time, we have negotiated with her as she originally penalised us for 2 months (maximum penality), now we are to only pay a penalty for August as she possibly has a tenant. This is after we also advertised on our behalf to find someone to take over our lease. We have already found 2 people interested , but due to the rental not being available during December they have lost their interest. We have even suggested that she keeps our deposit and anything damaged (with proof) she can charge on our account and we'll pay. We really need help with this matter as it was something brought under her attention before we signed the lease agreement. We did inform her before that immigration is in the works. We'll appreciate your help and advice. 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.