My father sexualy abused me from the age...

Asked by Alex on 10-11-2023 11:33:18
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

My father sexualy abused me from the age of 11 years old until 18 years old. I will be reporting this to the police sometime soon but I have concerns. 

So the reason he stopped the abuse was that I finally got the courage to tell my mom when I was 18. So my mom would be like a key witness in prosecuting him, I'm not sure of the wording but I would definitely need her testimony to have any hope of my father being found guilty. 

The problem comes in when I want to also prosecute my mother for her part in making me keep the abuse a secret instead of reporting my father to the police right away. I'm absolutely terrified that if I report my mother along with my father then she will refuse to testify in court and might lie instead and say I never told her about what my father did to me and then he's found not guilty as a result.

There are also other people who I will be bringing to court, including the pastor and his wife who told me to keep it a secret as well. If I report them and my mother is aware of it she might back out of testifying out of fear she also gets in trouble for not reporting my father and then then my father is found not guilty. 

So my question is: What should I do in this case?

Like would my future lawyer be able to keep the information of me prosecuting my mother (and the other people I'm prosecuting) from her until after she's testified in court so the case won't be jeopardized by her potentially backing out of testifying or lying? Or what should I do and what is possible? 

Thank you so much for your time. 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.