I am seeking advice regarding a dispute ...

Asked by lacoste19033 on 30-01-2015 18:02:19
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 200.00

I am seeking advice regarding a dispute i am having with the landlord.
I have rented a property through a agency and owner for the last 12months.

The lease is up,and now the owner is saying i need to replace the carpets.A cost of R9800.
The carpets as of today are 9years old(this is when the unit was built)
So we moved into the place when the carpets were already 8years old.

I have 2 dogs,and i accept responsiblity that they have ''damaged'' the carpets.Yet i feel it is unfair to charge
me the replacing of 8-9year old carpets when i only stayed here for 1 year.

I have done some research online,and many sites(basically all of them)state that the average lifespan of a household carpet is 8-10years.Also i have seen some laws(specifically from the US,that states that the tenant is required to pay a pro-rata rate.eg,if lifespan is 10years,and and i moved in here with 2years left,i would need
to pay 2/10years which is 20% of the quote of R9800.Which equalls R1960.

Im not sure what the SA law says,so some legal advice would be great thanks.

to sum up:im basically think its unfair and unacceptable for me to replace 8-9year carpets with brand new ones,since i have only rented here for 1 year.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.